SERVINGS: 16 MEDIUM PANCAKES PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES 6 Large Free Range Eggs
230g Plain Flour
2 Heaped Teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Pinches Salt
1. Separate the egg whites from the yolks and place in separate bowls.
2. Whisk egg whites with salt until it has formed stiff peaks (use a hand mixer to save time and your arms).
3. In the other bowl, add sifted flour to egg yolks, baking powder and milk. Beat together until mixed well.
4. Fold the egg white mixture into this bowl, being careful not to lose too much air so it stays fluffy and whipped.
5. Spoon the mixture into a non-stick frying pan on a medium to low heat (if the pan is too hot it can cause your pancakes to burn, if its on a lower heat you get a nice even cook and smooth finish).
If you don't have a non stick pan and need to use butter or oil, I recommend adding some and spread over the pan with some kitchen paper roll to remove most of the butter or oil and you will get a nice golden finish to your pancake and no uneven cooking or oily pancakes.
6. After a couple of minutes you should notice little bubbles popping to the surface, it's pretty much time to flip the pancake. Using a spatula and make sure the pancake has loosened from the pan and check the colour before flipping, the pancakes should be an even golden colour.
I normally place them in a stack on a plate before getting creative with fillings and toppings!
Some topping ideas:
Nutella and fresh fruit (banana's, strawberries, and blueberries are my favourite to use with nutella), this is usually a crowd pleaser.
Freshly squeezed lemon and sugar, this is normally done with crepe's but it is also very delicious on pancakes.
Cream cheese spread on the pancakes then topped with freshly cut strawberries mixed in strawberry jam that is melted to a syrup in the microwave (be careful with the melted jam as it will be very hot straight out the microwave).
What is your favourite toppings to put on your pancakes?
I'd love to hear what you do and try something new.
Photo by Calum Lewis on Unsplash